Monday, December 21, 2009

Dreams

From the day we’re born until the day we die we dream. Every single day 365 days a year without exception our mind escapes to our dream like state. Over the last ten years, neuroscientists have studied and learned more about our mind than in all the previous years of history and yet the more we learn the more we realize how very little we actually know of the powers of the mind. Although we dream every day, we still don’t know why? There are a number of theories but nothing that has been proven and universally accepted. So, I’d like to throw my theory into the ringer as well.

There are many types of dreams and we know that when we sleep our mind and our brain seems to travel through different levels of sub-consciousness. Dr. Salk spoke of being consciously aware of dreaming while dreaming, something called a “Lucid Dream”. It is the most powerful type of dream. In my own experience, I found myself having these “Lucid Dream” experiences whenever I became passionately involved in an activity. As a youth, I can recall being consciously aware of many of my gymnastic dreams. I loved gymnastics with all my heart and soul. I couldn’t wait till the next day so I could practice a new move or try and perfect a routine I was working on for an upcoming gymnastic tournament. As I reflect back on my life many of the passions I pursued seemed to get nurtured in my dreams.

I believe we all have greatness within us, most unfortunately will never pursue that greatness because of lack of confidence, fear of failure, or any of the common excuses prevalent among modern man. I believe it is within our dreams that we get a glimpse of our unique gifts and the greatness that could be ours. If you begin to follow that dream even at a very casual level you’ll find that your dreams will become stronger and more vivid. Perhaps you’ll even experience that rare “Lucid Dream”. If that happens begin to make a conscious effort to turn that dream into reality by making it a goal. Every successful person I know whether an athlete or business executive has spoken of the importance of being passionate about their pursuits. If you’ve found an activity your passionate about and you find yourself dreaming about great accomplishments don’t get scared write them down and make them a goal. Find a mentor, a friend, a loved one or perhaps a coach to help you devise a plan for achieving your goal.

If on the other hand you have no current passions, and one day seems to simply blend into the next, you’re bored or unhappy with your current circumstances perhaps you should examine your dreams. They just may give you a clue to your passions and the greatness that lies within.

2 comments:

  1. Your idea that dreams give us an inkling of what we can become is very similar to Freud's idea that dreams are wish fulfillment, and Mark Solm's idea that when we dream, we activate chemical pathways that enable us to experience activities without acting them out in real life.

    After all, if you can't imagine it or wish it, then you can't do it.

    Source: http://www.meaningofdreams.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment Marcia. I couldn't agree more with your last statement "if you can't imagine it or wish it, then you can't do it"

    ReplyDelete